2009/07/10

A Different Kind of Boat-Trip – or: What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor?

Okay, okay… I have to admit, I just felt like using that subtitle although it has really very little to do with the actual topic of this post. Maybe it is just some secret childhood wish to just once use that line in some way or another – and I couldn’t resist…

What is blog entry is really about is the most gorgeous and exciting, crazy and charming, happy and inspiring boat trip I had in my entire life (and I know what I am talking about, my uncle owns a sailer). And this boat trip took place last night on the planks of the Frau Hedi.
The boat itself is of course nothing spectacular. It is basically the same kind of barge most of the tourist companies use to ship American and Italian camera men (and women) up and down the Harbour district. What makes it special, is it’s usage: it is a swimming club, complete with sound equipment, bar and a (ground level) stage.

The waves were rising quite high at that particular evening and just standing in the middle of the boat was at times quite a challenge. But even the wind and the rain were easily tolerated, in the face of what we got in return: The charming, New Zealand duo Little Pictures, who performed their witty, bouncing tunes and stirring beats with a delightfully fresh air (and I don’t refer to the wind). The band had brought with them two sets of drum pads, a glockenspiel, a clarinet and a saxophone, along with a whole bunch of samples and even a virtual rapper – and before our eyes (and ears) it all combined and unfolded into those magnetic little pop hymns that radiate rainbows and bubbles (both of which quite amusingly could be seen on that particular boat trip). No wonder most of the audience was up for a second round when the boat ran into the Landungsbruecken of the first time and happily listened to a second (though not entirely new) set of the band.

A truly magnificent experience. I’m definitely up for another of those kind of boat trips!

1 comment:

Ciceros Erbe said...

Klingt nach einem absolut tollen Abend!